Punk 57 by Penelope Douglas

Synopsis: "We were perfect together. Until we met."

Misha

I can’t help but smile at the words in her letter. She misses me.

In fifth grade, my teacher set us up with pen pals from a different school. Thinking I was a girl, with a name like Misha, the other teacher paired me up with her student, Ryen. My teacher, believing Ryen was a boy like me, agreed.

It didn’t take long for us to figure out the mistake. And in no time at all, we were arguing about everything. The best take-out pizza. Android vs. iPhone. Whether or not Eminem is the greatest rapper ever…

And that was the start. For the next seven years, it was us.

Her letters are always on black paper with silver writing. Sometimes there’s one a week or three in a day, but I need them. She’s the only one who keeps me on track, talks me down, and accepts everything I am.

We only had three rules. No social media, no phone numbers, no pictures. We had a good thing going. Why ruin it?

Until I run across a photo of a girl online. Name’s Ryen, loves Gallo’s pizza, and worships her iPhone. What are the chances?

F*ck it. I need to meet her.

I just don’t expect to hate what I find.

Ryen

He hasn’t written in three months. Something’s wrong. Did he die? Get arrested? Knowing Misha, neither would be a stretch.

Without him around, I’m going crazy. I need to know someone is listening. It’s my own fault. I should've gotten his number or picture or something.

He could be gone forever.

Or right under my nose, and I wouldn’t even know it.


Review:
One of the booktubers i watch loves Penelope Douglas and this is her favorite book from her and i wasn't really into it when i read the synopsis so i decided not to read it and i read birthday girl instead which is now one of my favorite books of all time, but i still wasn't really interested in this book until the other day when i was so bored staying at home i thought why not ? just give it a try, you loved birthday girl!.

I started reading this book around 22:00 and i kept reading and then looked at the clock again and it was around 06:00 in the morning!, i was so into this book more than i thought i would be and dare i say i might love this book a little bit more than birthday girl.

I love the backstory, the whole pen pal thing was just wonderful, i loved the characters, the storyline and everything, i could just feel the chemistry between the two main characters, they had crazy chemistry, my god.

I loved how flawed Ryen was, she wasn't the best person but she was just trying to survive high school, in the letters that she was sending to Misha she was being the person she wanted to be in real life and when Misha met her and realized who she was and that she was not the same person as she was in her letters he was disappointed and angry at her but there was so much chemistry between them that it was hard for them to hate each other.

I recommend this book to everyone it is a great book and it is now on my list of favorite books of all time, so definitely check it out.


Stars: 5 out of 5



Goodreads
Amazon

Quotes i loved:

“We’re all ugly, Ryen. The only difference is, some hide it and some wear it.”

“No kid wants to be different. They want to belong, they desire the approval of others, and they, most often, aren’t yet mentally strong enough to be able to stand alone. As we get older, though, most of us develop that capability. We learn that nothing feels better than truly loving yourself, even if it means those around you do not. We joyously find that we just don’t give a damn anymore.”

“You don’t have to be afraid or embarrassed. No one does you better than you. You can’t be replaced. Not everyone will see that, but only you need to.”

“It feels like shit to be alone. To be in a place full of people and feel like they don't want you there. To feel like you're at a party you weren't invited to. No one even knows your name. No one wants to. No one cares. Are they laughing at you? Talking about you? Are they sneering at you like their perfect world would be so much better if you weren't there, messing up their view?
Are they just wishing you'd get the hint already and leave?
I feel like that a lot. I know it's pathetic to want a place among other people, and I know you'll say it's better to stand in a crowd and be wrong, but... I still feel that need all the time. Do you ever feel it? I wonder if the cheerleader feels it. When the music stops and everyone goes home? When the day is gone and she doesn't have anyone to entertain herself with? When she removes her makeup, taking off her brave face for the day, do the demons she keeps buried start playing with her when there's no one else to play with?
I guess not. Narcissists don't have insecurities, right?
Must be nice.”

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Feature and Follow Friday #2, I am a Featured Blog!!

Waiting on Wednesday: Side effects may vary

Waiting on Wednesday: Salt & Stone by Victoria Scott